Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

Journal Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank - Part Deux!

I have my like or smiley waiting for the post from @GreggZ, that he is well. It’s been too long.

@GreggZ let yourself be heard buddy, any excuse for your absence will do. No wifi on your transatlantic sailing race? - we’re good with that.
 
Ive heard he decided to put the bid dumb log back in and has spend the last few months feverishly trying to get it positioned just right before he shows anybody

If you get that joke youve been around a long time
LOL I was just down cleaning out one of the basement storage rooms and that log is still there waiting for action!

Thanks for the concern above. I am doing great so no need for any worries. Have just had a very busy period of life where my attention was diverted elsewhere. I have one more trip next week so will be still be pretty busy but after that things calm back down.

Tank has been a bit neglected but will start whipping it into shape.

In other more important news my first grandchild arrived earlier this week. Who knows he could be a future planted tanker!!

Hope everyone is doing great and enjoyed a wonderful holiday with family and friends.

part-0.webppart-01.webp
 
The family is looking great Gregg. Glad to hear you're doing well.
Notice I am wearing the Detroit Lions gear. We spent Thanksgiving at the hospital and had White Castle for our Holiday feast! It was the only place open near the hospital......actually it was pretty darn good!!

Turned out to be the best Thanksgiving ever with the addition of a healthy, happy little baby boy!
 
Notice I am wearing the Detroit Lions gear. We spent Thanksgiving at the hospital and had White Castle for our Holiday feast! It was the only place open near the hospital......actually it was pretty darn good!!

Turned out to be the best Thanksgiving ever with the addition of a healthy, happy little baby boy!
That's awesome! Congratulations!
 
LOL I was just down cleaning out one of the basement storage rooms and that log is still there waiting for action!

Thanks for the concern above. I am doing great so no need for any worries. Have just had a very busy period of life where my attention was diverted elsewhere. I have one more trip next week so will be still be pretty busy but after that things calm back down.

Tank has been a bit neglected but will start whipping it into shape.

In other more important news my first grandchild arrived earlier this week. Who knows he could be a future planted tanker!!

Hope everyone is doing great and enjoyed a wonderful holiday with family and friends.

View attachment 6573View attachment 6574
Congrats
 
I know it’s been a long while since I have updated anything here.

As I have mentioned life has gotten busier this last year. Not in a bad way just a lot going on. So the tank has been on the back burner and not getting a lot of attention.

Things are still going well, just not really focused on or have time to create anything inspiring. So for now it’s been pretty much a farm tank and everything just tossed in wherever I can find a place to put it.

Got rid of some light hogs and fast growers like Pantanal. Still have some Cuba in there but it’s not super happy probably wants more light. Still have a couple of stems of Myrio Roraima but just enough to keep it going. Same for Cabomba Furcata. A big bush of that takes a lot of care with all the aerial roots it produces. So for now it’s a short foreground plant waiting to be called back up to the big leagues. In general keeping mostly smaller groups and trying to make trimming less intense.

On another note the Barclaya has come back again and is throwing some nice bright red leaves. With time it will fill in nicely again. Same plant I have had for over a decade. Just comes and goes when it wants to.

Have been running a lot lower light about 80 PAR for 8 hours with a two hour burst of about 180 PAR. Seems to work well with most plants, but some don’t like it as much as solid high light. Growth overall is much slower, which is a good thing right now.

Dosing is the still the pretty much the same. Front end loading 25:10:30 to my stored RO water. Water change once a week along with light surface vacuuming. That has pretty much been the same for quite a few years now.

So the tank has been pretty the same like this for quite a while. All in all when you walk up it still looks pretty good. For people who have never seen a planted tank they are very impressed. But for me I see a complete mess!!!

Once summer is over will try to give the tank more attention and get more serious. I will say my grandson absolutely loves the tank and is fascinated by the movement and color of the Rainbowfish. So that has been a lot of fun.

Anyway just thought it’s been too long overdue since I checked in. I hope everyone is doing well and I have been following quite a few threads. I am really pleased with what a great group of people we have attracted here and the collective knowledge is amazing.

I’ll be focusing more on the tank this fall and will try to whip it into better shape and follow up as things progress.

20250813_200513x.webp
 
Last edited:
Once summer is over will try to give the tank more attention and get more serious. I will say my grandson absolutely loves the tank and is fascinated by the movement and color of the Rainbowfish. So that has been a lot of fun.


Anyway just thought it’s been too long overdue since I checked in. I hope everyone is doing well and I have been following quite a few threads. I am really pleased with what a great group of people we have attracted here and the collective knowledge is amazing.
I think forums and hobbies slow down in the summer. Everyone is doing other things. I look forward to seeing you more. Even in the short time I've become more active lately a lot of cool new people have joined. A lot to look forward to in your return to forum regularity. :)
 
Hello everyone I hope you all are doing well.

Tank is still in cruise control farm tank mode. It gets very little love but somehow keeps chugging along OK. Not really great, and mostly a mess, but still looks pretty good when you casually walk by.

My trimming has devolved to grabbing a grouping, tearing off a chunk, then stuffing it back in. Funny thing is most plants don't really seem to mind. But there has been no attention to detail or layout for a while. Everything is living which is good enough for me right now.

Life is still very busy. My wife and I decided to downsize to a smaller home. Our current one is too big for empty nesters like us and the large yard has just become too much work to keep up with. I'd rather golf and go boating these days than slave away on our large lot with too much landscaping.

So sometime in the not too distant future I will be moving the tank to the new home. It's only a few miles away so I expect it to go well.......but you never know! I actually considered downsizing the tank, but ultimately decided I am going to move the whole thing over as is.

Hardest part will be setting up the plumbing for the RO storage tanks and water changes. But I have a plan just need to execute it soon. Like my current set up I will make it all as easy as possible. I will update when the time comes.

Dosing and all that is the usual for years now. Have not made any real changes for quite a long time.

So here's where it's at today. Neglected but good enough for me right now.

20251017_175700x.webp
 
Last edited:

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top