Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

Journal Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank - Part Deux!


Looking sweet as always Gregg. Good luck with the move!

Still rocking that variegated Gymno I see. How's the variegation these days? I wound up getting rid of it soon after that. I was cramped for space and its just too big for me to propagate a meaningful amount. Every plant has to pay its rent over here lol. Hang on to it though, not many have it growing submerged
 
Looking sweet as always Gregg. Good luck with the move!

Still rocking that variegated Gymno I see. How's the variegation these days? I wound up getting rid of it soon after that. I was cramped for space and its just too big for me to propagate a meaningful amount. Every plant has to pay its rent over here lol. Hang on to it though, not many have it growing submerged
Surprisingly I still have this plant to. I have no issues growing it despite it being variegated. I havent propagated it yet though.
 
Looking sweet as always Gregg. Good luck with the move!

Still rocking that variegated Gymno I see. How's the variegation these days? I wound up getting rid of it soon after that. I was cramped for space and its just too big for me to propagate a meaningful amount. Every plant has to pay its rent over here lol. Hang on to it though, not many have it growing submerged
Hey Joe good to hear from you.

The Gymno is an easy grower and if you let go it would take over the tank. The color is mostly white with little bits of green variegation here and there. But I like the white, and it's large wavy leaves are unique.

Maybe someday I will grow it into a background plant. As you know it wouldn't take long.

And I hope all is well with you my friend!! After I move I will likely hit you up to get some more plants and satisfy my collectoritis! :LOL:
 
Surprisingly I still have this plant to. I have no issues growing it despite it being variegated. I havent propagated it yet though.
Thats right you got some too! It be a good plant in a large Dutch. Always good to have one 'big-leaf green', or in this case white lol
 
Thats right you got some too! It be a good plant in a large Dutch. Always good to have one 'big-leaf green', or in this case white lol
Mine is not nearly as white as his though. Has never even been close to that white. Mines almost all green. Still would make a great Dutch plant.
 
Moving a 120G tank is no picnic. I don't think most normal people would do it.

But somehow, someway got it moved, fish and plants in, filtration running........easy to say not so easy to do.

20251116_162430.webp
20251116_174245.webp
 
Moving a 120G tank is no picnic. I don't think most normal people would do it.

But somehow, someway got it moved, fish and plants in, filtration running........easy to say not so easy to do.

View attachment 11764
View attachment 11765
I'm assuming that is now a permanent fixture of the house and goes to whomever owns the house next? :LOL:
 
What a perfect little corner! Looks made to fit
Yeah it's a little nook in the basement.

A nice thing is that it's right next a storage room with the HVAC equipment. If you look closely at the second picture you can see one of the 55G barrels holding RO water in the next room. So it was a really short run for the plumbing for draining/filling.

One thing I noticed right away is the filling is much faster. The pump I have was pretty quick to fill when the tank was on a second floor, and with that power it really goes fast with very little lift required.
I'm assuming that is now a permanent fixture of the house and goes to whomever owns the house next? :LOL:
LOL you might be right! Like I said it's no easy task moving that thing that is for sure.
 
Yeah it's a little nook in the basement.

LOL you might be right! Like I said it's no easy task moving that thing that is for sure.
Please tell me you have a walkout basement? Cause carrying a large glass tank down stairs is no picnic in itself. The 180 was atrocious to bring down
 
Please tell me you have a walkout basement? Cause carrying a large glass tank down stairs is no picnic in itself. The 180 was atrocious to bring down
Yes it is a walk out basement. So we were able to take the unit around to the back of the house to bring it in.

And even that was no picnic. I can't imagine with a 180G. Not only the weight but the sheer size to maneuver around any turns or obstacles. You need a lot of manpower for that!!
 
Yes it is a walk out basement. So we were able to take the unit around to the back of the house to bring it in.

And even that was no picnic. I can't imagine with a 180G. Not only the weight but the sheer size to maneuver around any turns or obstacles. You need a lot of manpower for that!!
Very lucky for you but still that glass is thick and heavy. It took 5 of us. 4 holding the weight and 1 to ensure it didnt slide off the stairs. Luckily no turns it was a straight shot from outside down to the basement. If I did it again ill spend the extra money for acrylic.
 
What are your KH and GH out of the tap? Curious since you use RO.
I never knew how spoiled we were here until more people started trying to grow low KH plants and getting RO.
I'm sure it says it somewhere in this journal, but it's 15 pages long. 😆
In my area the water is considered hard. dGH and dKH are both at about 15. It does vary depending on time of the year and weather.

For me I like to start with a clean slate and control the parameters. If I lived in a place with very soft water I'd probably just roll with it, but not the case here.
 
Last edited:
I’ve been long overdue for an update on my tank.

But before we get to that I have to say that the collective knowledge available here on Scapecruch is the best I have seen in the hobby. When we started this site we weren’t sure what it would become, and it has exceeded my expectations. We have some of the best brightest minds in the hobby, and thanks to all who have joined and participated. I hope you have found this site to be a friendly place to hang out and discuss all things planted tanks with others who share the same enthusiasm for the hobby.

Now onto the update. As some may recall I moved the tank about 5 months ago to a new home. Since that time I have been consumed with home projects and turning the new place into what I thought it could be. But boy that takes a LOT of work. In my last house the tank resided in my den on the first floor, and now sits in the finished basement of the new house. Moving a tank takes it’s toll as it takes a little while for things to stabilize and get back into a rhythm. Got past that phase and things are pretty close to auto-pilot now.

I’ve made some changes over the last few months and thought I would summarize them here.

First is that one of my old Rena XP filters finally bit the dust. I think I bought them back around 2010, so was a pretty good investment at the time. They were discontinued a while back so I loaded up on parts to keep them going. Well the parts finally ran out and now they are nowhere to be found.

So I searched around and ended up buying a brand I have never heard of on a whim. The model is the AQQA 35w-581GPH. I figured for about $125.00 worth the risk and why not give it a try.

I have to tell you I very happy with this filter. Easy to clean, comes with a spray bar which I really like, primes quickly, runs quietly, adjustable flow….all in all a good value for the money. So much so that I ended up buying two more and now have three on my 120G tank.

Next I added a dosing pump for micros. When the tank was in my den on the first floor I would wander over there with a cup of coffee in the morning and dose micros. Now that it is in the basement I only remembered less than half the time. So I searched around and ended going with a Kamoer X1 Pro 2 WiFi Bluetooth Dosing Pump. I found an open box unit on ebay for $50 and figured it was worth a shot. Set up and calibration was super easy, and it’s been running flawlessly. It’s something I should have done a long time ago but just never got around to it.

Another change is that now that it is in the basement, it’s near an outside wall and stays cooler than when it was upstairs. So for the first time in a long time I bought a heater. Since I am happy with their filters decided to try an AQQA 800W Aquarium Heater. It has a digital read out controller that mounts in the cabinet which is nice. It also turns off if the water level gets low. I am keeping the tank at 75* and so far it has no problem keeping up.

I liked it so much that I added two AQQA 500w heaters to my RO holding tanks. They are on a smart strip and turn on Friday night for the Saturday morning water change. Again so far so good.

When I set up the RO tanks I realized that one of my circulation pumps was shot. So I purchased two really cheap Freesea 1050GPH circulation pumps. They have a nice strong magnet which made it easy to mount inside the storage barrels. I run them from midnight to 6am daily to keep the water circulating and dissolve the front loaded ferts.

While on the topic of front loaded ferts I have also made a change there as well. Some posts by our friend @Dennis Wong got me thinking more about stability. I’ve tested my NO3 many times over a week cycle and they actually stay very stable. I believe my NO3 uptake rate is pretty similar to the amount of NO3 being generated by my Rainbow fish. So front end loading works very well for NO3 in my tank.

But I never really tested the PO4 on a weekly basis. When I did I found that while my NO3 was stable, my PO4 was decreasing as the week went on. So the tank is consuming more than it’s generating. To counter that I added some PO4 to my micro solution and am now providing a small dose of PO4 on a daily basis. So far so good seems to be working very well.

Other than that have had little time to do much in the way of scaping. Been keeping things pretty chopped down and only small groups of most plants just to keep them going. Kind of a minimalist approach for a while now. Plan is to start propagating more of what I have and fill it back in and get more serious over the next couple of months.

So here is where it is today. If you walked up to it and had never seen a planted tank before, you’d probably think it was pretty darn good. But I know what more it could be and plan to start working harder to get it there.

Thanks for stopping in and I hope everyone’s tanks are doing well.

-1.9 4300.webp
 
Last edited:
Looking good even if it's a new set up! Automation seems to be appropriate with increased age. Maybe I should do the same 😆. I'll be 52 this year.
Thanks my friend! Yeah adding the dosing pump for the micros is one less thing to worry about. Never thought I wanted one but now that I have it I can see the value.

When I moved the tank I also set up the draining/filling like I had it at my old place. One switch to drain, one switch to fill. Takes some work to set up but makes water changes a breeze.

The one thing you can't automate is horticulture/pruning/trimming. My life is back to a more normal rhythm now, so will have more time for the really important things.

There's a reason there's an old saying in the hobby............"keep your sleaves wet"! A tank like mine (and yours!) takes a lot of manual labor, and I have found the more effort the better the results.
 

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top