Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

How I trim plants before planting. Makes a big difference!

Naturescapes_Rocco 16

Rocco
Supporting
I Donated 2026
Rockstar
Article Contributor
Journal
Joined
Dec 19, 2024
Messages
1,234
Reaction score
3,407
Location
Denver, Colorado, USA
See this post regarding AR Mini trimming/planting, and this post regarding Cyperus helferi trimming and planting!

I have hardly seen this subject talked about enough, but I think that it's one of the biggest reasons contributing to beginner's algae-filled downfalls! If you're buying plants from big stores like Aquarium Plants Factory (really good btw), Buceplant, etc. 90% of the plants you are receiving are terrestrially-grown.

Here's an important fact about terrestrially-grown aquarium plants

100% of all terrestrial leaves, when submerged under water, for any plant, will eventually get algae and die.
Some can take a while (anubias, java fern, cyperus helferi), while others will either melt (Crypts) or quickly get algae (AR Mini, Staurogyne repens, stem plants, etc)

But what about buying submerged-growth plants? From hobbyists, or BurrAqua, for example?

There is still a chance that your tank's conditions are different enough that many, if not most leaves you plant, will melt/die/attract algae.

How do we fix this? By leaving only enough leaves for the plant to continue to absorb light and put out new growth. Usually the top 4-6 leaves for stem plants.

1786937485251.webp

It's a lot of work up front, but you will MAJORLY reduce the amount of waste, DOC 's, and algae-inducing scenarios if you trim your plants before planting.

I've done this in ALL of my tanks in the last 4 years with great success.

The easiest way to do this is with stainless squeeze scissors over your sink:
1786937752576.webp
Here's the ones I recommend.

Yes, it takes a ton of patience. But if it could make a big difference in preventing the 2-3 month algae bloom in your tank, would you do it?


Here are some specific plant examples:​

For most true stem plants, I like to leave 3-4" of stem, trimming roots if necessary, and leaving only 4-6 of the freshest leaves. More than that, they will eventually be algae magnets. Less than that (like 2 leaves only) they might not survive the shock.

1786937664009.webp
Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea', only a few top leaves left, 3" of stem.

1786937955613.webp
Hygrophila corymbosa. Note how I left the leaf nodes on the stem? That's where roots will grow from. Almost all stem plants need nodes to grow roots, even if you've removed the leaves from them.


1786938009235.webp
Terrestrially-grown AR 'Mini' from APF. See how I did the same in this thread for my previous tanks.


1786938082744.webp
This Anubias barteri var. coffeefolia was grown terrestrially (often called 'emersed' or emergent) in a greenhouse. I removed all but the newest 3 leaves, and trimmed the roots too. Terrestrial roots are quite different from submerged with certain plants.


1786938248454.webp
Almost ALL Cryptocoryne species are grown terrestrially. These plants grow as a Rosette, where the inner-most leaves on the "stem" are the freshest, and the outer-most are the oldest. I removed a TON of old terrestrial leaves, leaving just enough for the plant to be able to grow new submerged leaves in my tank as quickly as possible, while leaving as few algae-attracting terrestrial leaves as possible. I also trimmed the roots, which were 5" long upon receiving the plant.


1786938372325.webp
Lobelia cardinalis 'mini'
1786938398546.webp
Penthorum sedoides
. Would also look very similar for Staurogyne repens, too.


Did you know that Blyxa japonica is actually a stem plant? It looks like a rosette, but it's actually a squat, wide stem plant. The lowest/outermost leaves are the oldest, and even though this is a true aquatic plant with no terrestrial form in nature, I know that it likes to throw a fit and melt a good portion of it's oldest leaves when transitioning to my tank's conditions. Here's what it looked like when I received it from @Burr740:
1786938548455.webp
1786938557694.webp
Nice and trimmed up. Less problematic at the 1-2 month mark in the tank's development, I know it!

What about delicate/feather plants?
They're super annoying to prep. I still only keep the top 3-4" max.

1786938618138.webp
With Myriophyllum mattogrossense 'Golden', I only keep a few inches and still try to remove some of the lower leaves that would otherwise just rot by being buried in my inert sand.


1786938680672.webp
What about Myriophyllum sp. "Roraima"? F*ck that. Nightmare to trim lower leaves, just trim it to 3" (not pictured) and discard the bottom when planting.

Curious what you guys think! I know I could receive plenty of "I've never done this, my tank has been fine" but I'd recommend trying it first before having a strong opinion of it ;)

By the way, all plants pictured were actually used in my upcoming 120cm Showcase tank:
1786938890186.webp
 
Its a great post and i have already taken it to heart from previous discussions. Perhaps I could be even more brutal in my pre-planting trimming though.

I do have a quesiton that I often ponder about though ....... Could it not be beneficial to leave the leaves on the planted section ? Yes these leaves will rot but could this not be possibly providing a useful ammonia source for the newly introduced plant and prommote root development etc ? What evidence do we actually have of the pros and cons of doing this ? I must admit that do trim as you have suggested (or close to it) but every time I do, it always makes me wonder about this factor.
 
Great advice Rocco. This has always worked well for me. I'm impressed that you take time to carefully trim the leaves of the stem plants. I usually just run my fingers down the stem to strip the leaves and then trim the stem to the desired length. Your method is probably better, but I've found most stems to be quite resilient.
 
Rocco, thank you for this! Extremely helpful! I definitely have been too worried to trim any roots from the plants I've bought. Is there any rule of thumb you have with trimming the roots?

How much time did you spend planting your 120p pictured? Were all the plants done in one day or is that multiple deliveries? As someone who can't devote more than usually like 1-2 uninterrupted hours to the tank at a time, any recommendations? Can I prep plants and leave them in water for a few days before I can plant them? Seems like it would work, but probably not ideal.

As someone relatively inexperienced, I vote the next tutorial is all around planting. I feel like sometimes I'm doing something wrong where I plant one stem and pull another one out with my pincers. Haha
 
Can I prep plants and leave them in water for a few days before I can plant them? Seems like it would work, but probably not ideal.
I don’t recommend this. Anytime I’ve done this it’s resulted in melted plants. If you’d like to prep one day and plant the next (believe me when I say I understand where your coming from with precious time for plants), keep them moist and in a cool dark place. Tank water soaked paper towels work well to keep them wet and happy until you plant.
 
I don’t recommend this. Anytime I’ve done this it’s resulted in melted plants. If you’d like to prep one day and plant the next (believe me when I say I understand where your coming from with precious time for plants), keep them moist and in a cool dark place. Tank water soaked paper towels work well to keep them wet and happy until you plant.
I've actually left trimmed plants floating in my farm tank for days before replanting with very little negative effect, but I guess it depends on the plant and the water conditions.
 
I've actually left trimmed plants floating in my farm tank for days before replanting with very little negative effect, but I guess it depends on the plant and the water conditions.
I should have clarified. In the past I’ve left them in a bucket of water in bunches or floating, and that method I’ve had repeated failure. Your method has worked fine for me in the past too.
 
I do it a little differently where I'll plant with whatever leaves are currently on the plant when I receive it, then when I see the first few new leaves I'll strip all the old ones. I find if you remove too many old leaves from a plant that's already barely hanging on there can be increased mortality.

The downside is you essentially have to do all the planting twice, within like a week or so
 
@gjcarew Your point holds true I’ve experienced too. I really think it depends on how healthy what your planting truly is, and also the parameter changes potentially.

For example, all my stems I planted a couple weeks ago now came from Burr. I received them all n good time, but couldn’t plant right away. I planted them two days later. So that’s about a week+ or so in the dark. I trimmed off any unhealthy bits, and halved some stems that I wanted to see more of. I had some Limnophila Hipp pieces that got absolutely riddled with algae, nasty BBA . But where I cut it, some fresh new growth appeared completely free of algae. I ended up cutting those off and replanting and tossing the rest. But crazy how the whole cutting failed to adapt but it mustered enough strength to create new growth and abandon the original stem.
 
Great info on the emersed side of plants and trimming, I use to buy wholesale plants and the crypts always melt, your method is the same thing I did chop most older leaves off and save few new smaller ones they will slowly come back.

I just got some wild emersed plants local yesterday and 1 bunch of L repens 8 days ago no melt just growth, didn't loose 1 leaf yet?! I posted a post with plants today I got. I do expect some melt but the ludwigia not melting at all really surprised me. I bought 1 bunch of repens from a store and it all melted to nothing within days not even a stem left lol.
 

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top