Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

ADA Amazonia Pro

JayP 433

Valuable Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2025
Messages
1,890
Reaction score
3,309
Location
Raymore, MO United States
I hadn't seen it mentioned by others that attended Aquashella, but if you hadn't already heard about it or seen it in Aquashella videos, ADA has come out with Amazonia Pro. It's not a replacement for Version 2, but an addition. It is essentially Version 2 on steroids with higher nutrients and of course the negative side effect of potentially higher initial ammonia leaching and, if your not prepared and skilled, more chance of algae. That's even from the mouth of Homma-san himself. The scaping competitors were using it in the competition and AFA was selling 9l bags at the show. They said it would be available on the website within the next couple weeks.
 
I meant to mention it, and forgot. I even took a pic of the screen when they brought it up at Aquashella in NJ.

20260912_111740.webp

I didn't really understand how it would be different from the original Amazonia, as ver 2. was supposed to be a sort of 'Amazonia lite'. I don't know if regular Amazonia is even distributed any more? All I saw at AFA online last time was Ver 2., so I presumed that Pro was just a rebranded version of the original, but I don't honestly know.
 
Completely unrelated but why use the term Homma - san ? does'nt that just mean Mr.Homma ?
sorry it keeps bugging me:censored:
Because that's the proper way to refer to someone in Japan with respect and politeness.
 
-san I believe means teacher and -sensei means Master.
So I believe a term of honor.
I don't know who Mr Homma is though.
Amano was, of course, sensei
:)
Homma-san is Amano-san's successor as the lead suikei creator at ADA. There is a video posted about he and Homma-san's relationship.
 
-san I believe means teacher and -sensei means Master.
So I believe a term of honor.
I don't know who Mr Homma is though.
Amano was, of course, sensei
:)
Because that's the proper way to refer to someone in Japan with respect and politeness.

From our friend ChatGPT 😄:

“-san” is a polite Japanese honorific, roughly similar to Mr. or Ms., although it’s used more broadly.

Not that it really matters either way, but I can understand someone in Japan referring to a respected American teacher as “Smith-san.” I was just a little confused about why, when speaking English in the U.S., we would call someone from Japan “Homma-san” rather than simply “Mr. Homma” or whatever name they normally use here.

I had thought “-san” was more a feature of speaking Japanese than something you use simply because the person is Japanese.
 
Last edited:
I can tell you that everyone at the show, Japanese and American (and several other nationalities) referred to him, and his translator that way.
Thanks, and no disrespect by any means, but genuinely curious as to what he prefers.

I have predominantly heard most English documentaries referring to Takashi Amano as Mr.Amano; and thought it would be apt to call Yusuke Homma as Mr.Homma (unless one is in Japan and speaking Japanese with him).

But anyways thanks for the response and will end this discussion.
 
Moving along...

From the ADA main site on Aquasoil, it appears the Amazonia Ver.2 comes with an Amazonia Supplement. One is supposed to add the appropriate amount. Amazonia Pro doesn't have the supplement, which makes me speculate that the Pro version has more of what plants crave.

My totally unscientific, seat-of-the-pants, wild-ass guess.

Edit: I haven't used ADA Aquasoil of any variety since 2007.
 

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top