Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

I wasted a few brain cells tonight.

JayP

Valuable Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2025
Messages
1,911
Reaction score
3,351
Location
Raymore, MO United States
When I was walking around Aquashella Chicago, I crossed paths multiple times with Logan Rando while he was filming. I was wondering if he had posted a video of the show yet so I checked out his channel. No video of Chicago yet, so I instead watched his video of New Jersey. About half way through the video, Father Fish rolls by on his scooter and announces he'll be making an announcement that will destroy the tropical fish industry. LOL! I didn't know Father Fish was actually a speaker at Aquashella. Seems funny that a guy who preaches about not giving money to the aquarium industry was invited to speak. I figured WTH, I'll bite and go to his channel to see what the big news was. I couldn't bring myself to watch the whole thing, but I did scan through it and still don't know what the big Earth shattering news was. Just the same ole preachy stuff and I regret destroying the brain cells. I have to be more careful of that, as I'm older and can't afford to lose many more. I'm sure glad my path into this hobby was seeing the work of Takashi Amano, other knowledgeable aquascapers, and all the great folks in this community.
 
I asked the Google AI to summarize his talk. Here it is. He sells his living substrate btw.

——

The primary points of his presentation include:

1. Critiquing the Pet Industry Model
  • The "Sterile Tank" Trap: He slammed the commercial industry's standard prescription of continuous chemical adjustments, artificial filters, and frequent water changes. He argued that treating aquariums like sterile environments instead of living ecosystems sets hobbyists up for failure and leads to dying fish. [1]
  • Psychological Impact on Fish: He explained that raising large fish in bare, empty tanks severely degrades their mental state. Much like a human locked in a bare room, fish kept without natural enrichment or plants become hostile, aggressive, and "insane," attacking tank mates and biting the hands of their owners.

2. The Solution: A Return to Nature
  • Replicating the 1860s Method: He advocated for a return to historical, low-tech tank keeping. By replicating natural biomes—using soil, sand, and heavy vegetation—hobbyists can create self-sustaining aquariums that take care of themselves. [1]
  • The Living Substrate: To eliminate the need for chemical fertilizers, artificial CO2 dosing, or high-tech equipment, he highlighted the use of a complex, mineral-rich substrate. This method feeds the root systems naturally, stabilizes the water chemistry, and establishes a microscopic ecosystem that keeps the environment healthy for decades.
 

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top